Rita Ifeyinwa Ilukwe
Rita Ifeyinwa Ilukwe is a private legal practitioner and Notary public who has fourteen (14) years post call experience in active legal practice. Rita is an Associate counsel in the law office of Onyechi Araka and Company, a firm of legal practitioners situate in Onitsha, Anambra State of Nigeria.
In the course of her legal practice, Rita has garnered experience in the areas of Civil Litigation which include consumer protection, commercial and corporate law and Arbitration to mention a few.
Rita obtained her Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) degree from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2006 with a second class upper division, she proceeded to the Nigerian Law School where she obtained her Barrister-at-Law (BL) qualification. She then proceeded on a mandatory National Youth Service programme and completed same in 2008. Rita obtained her Masters degree in Law (LL.M) in 2018 from the University of Nigeria Nsukka, in Commercial and Corporate Law.
SPECIAL COURSES ATTENDED
- Universal Mandatory IT Training (UMITT) 2006
- Diplome D’Etudes en Langue Française 2012
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- Associate, Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (NICArb)
- Member, Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (UK) (CIArb)
During her Youth Service programme, Rita worked as an in house counsel with Mobile Producing Nigeria Unlimited and was responsible for:-
- Interfacing with internal departments and local community representatives with a view to ensuring the smooth running of the smooth running of the company’s business and ensuring that the corporate responsibilities of the company are met in line with the relevant provisions of the law.
- Reviewing of contractual agreements between the company and its contractors.
- Advising client departments within the company on their legal rights and obligations and on what expectations are realistically achievable in legal terms.
- Liaising with outside counsel on the handling of company’s litigation matters.
- Assisting in constantly monitoring national and international legislations as it affects company’s interests.
- Advising on the impact, interpretation and implementation of new policies and legislations as it affects the company.
- Advising client departments within the company on their obligations to contractors, consumers and the local community regarding health, safety and environmental guidelines in line with the law.
- Advising on corporate governance, contract law and legal aspects of commercial transactions.
Rita is currently in active legal practice and has so been for over fourteen (14) years, specializing in areas including commercial law practice, civil litigation, appellate practice and so on.
LEADERSHIP ROLES/FURTHER WORK EXPERIENCE/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES
Rita has demonstrated leadership roles in community development programmes in partnership with United Aid International (a non-governmental organisation), when she worked as a specialist in one of the Central Bank of Nigeria sponsored Entrepreneurship programmes, piloted in three (3) geopolitical zones in Nigeria, in conjunction with the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development and Research (CEDR), University of Nigeria Nsukka, as the Implementing Agency, for the training programme of young and emerging entrepreneurs and business owners on corporate best practices in line with the relevant laws and guidelines.
Rita has equally worked as a programme director and co-ordinator for United Aid International at the Esso Exploration and Production Limited corporate responsibility sponsored youth empowerment programme at Abatete, in Anambra State.
Rita equally worked as a specialist for United Aid International in the Youth Development programmes sponsored by the Ford Foundation and initiated under the patronage of the Monarch of Onitsha, HRH, Igwe Alfred Achebe mni., which produced over seventy (70) young entrepreneurs and business owners.
Rita worked as a facilitator in 2017 in the training of emerging entrepreneurs for the hero kick start programme, training participants on business law and best practices in starting and running a successful business enterprise in line with the relevant legal and statutory provisions in Nigeria.
Rita worked as a facilitator in 2020 in the training of emerging entrepreneurs for United Aid International in conjunction with the Onitsha Youth Council where she taught legal protection of consumers from harmful products and duties of the producers to guard against harmful and unethical business practices, as well as legal personality of various business ventures.
Rita is also a member of the Special Marshals Unit, a volunteer arm of the Federal Road Safety Corps.
Rita is proficient in the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT).
She has a substantial record of efficient team leadership and ability to ensure prompt delivery of work schedules in line with terms of reference. She can balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively. She can strategically manage litigation and arbitration matters. She has experience in drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements.
Influential, creative and capable, Rita is adaptable and dependable, dynamic yet highly organized.
She has interests in advancing in legal practice with a view to engaging in more challenging work experiences which will contribute to her wealth of knowledge, experience and career advancement.